Thursday, June 16, 2011

Memphis Blues

Here we are in Memphis, at another hotel. We had to push-start the VW 3 times throughout our journey between Natchez and Memphis. I was not excited about that but David insisted. Once at the hotel in Natchez, once in some podunk town in Mississippi and once at the VW dealership in Memphis. Each time some chivalrous southern man or 2 or 3 came to my rescue. Every time, at least 1 man would comment on my husband forcing me into such labor. I laughed to myself thinking none of these men probably EVER changed a dirty diaper or cleaned up a child's vomit after they "missed" the toilet. It was mighty sweet of them to come to our aid and I know David and I wouldn't have been able to do it alone but it was definitely a cultural thing, Southern Good Ole Boy vs. Dirty Hippy.

I drove the rental while he rode in the VW. We switched the girls out between vehicles so they wouldn't all be at each other's throats in such close quarters in the rented Impala. I even took a turn at driving the VW so David could have some A/C. I'm nice like that!

The reason we were even feeling so "adventurous" is that in Memphis, they'd promised David the part immediately versus a week or more in Natchez. We arrived just a bit too late (because when you have 3 little girls, someone ALWAYS has to use the potty) and he'd accidentally turned off the car. I was afraid that would happen at some point. This particular time, it took a shop full of dudes towing David muddin'-style to start the vehicle. At that point, I was frazzled. I hated this trip, I hated the VW, I hated camping, I hated how much money we spent and I hated myself for being so hateful.

So I did what any crazy wife would do, I refused to drive 45 minutes away to the campsite just to drive back tomorrow to get a part. I insisted we find a nearby hotel. David caved just to chill me out. Like any crazy wife, I was instantly happy again. Good thing I insisted too, a nasty storm came through just after we checked in. It must be that female 6th sense. .

We checked in, chilled out, ate out, came back and swam in the indoor pool, and life is good! Tomorrow, David will rise early, get the starter and install it in the parking lot because the people here are nice enough to allow him to do that. While he's doing that, we will hang at the pool. I really want to get some time in Memphis before we head to Nashville. If we want to be back on schedule tomorrow, we have to camp in Nashville tomorrow night. I just hope we have time to get to know the lovely Miss Memphis before we depart.

Right now I am enjoying my time alone in the hotel business center. I got to be the one to do laundry this time. How lucky am I?

Things I learned today: Mississippi is really that green, no fertilizer needed! Overworked Red Cross workers can be very cranky at the end of the day. Don't be a bad maid to an ARC volunteer! A Tennessee thunderstorm can produce winds that'll push an abandoned VW camper bus 50 or more feet through a parking lot. Mythbusters, try that out for size! Lucky for us, very few others were parked in the back lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment