Monday, June 27, 2011

Enter the Sun

2nd to Last Day:
We left for Atlanta this morning, on our way back to the South. We have so enjoyed the weather up in these parts and I am not looking forward to the heat again. What I am excited about is sleeping in my own bed.

The girls were ready for the trip and even helped us pack up because I promised we'd sleep in a hotel in Atlanta and they could watch as much TV as they wanted. Last night's rain had cooled everything off but also made everything we packed wet and gross.

Arianna was excited to finally be heading home. Athena was ready for TV. Aurora was itching to get in the pool.

The drive was long and sky overcast but the kids were in high spirits. David kept hoping for rain but it never came. At least the sun wasn't blaring down. We stopped a lot because someone ALWAYS had to use the restroom. At one point, when we stopped at a gas station in the middle of Nowhere, GA., the car refused to start. David and I exchanged glances. My face said, "Here we go again. What do we do?" His face said, "Please don't freak out in front of the kids." Aurora searched my face for reasons to panic. After coughing, sputtering and making an all around dramatic fit about it, the bus started up, like nothing. We were back in business...for now.

We drove through the city and enjoyed watching the skyscrapers grow from the ground as we approached. All of a sudden, we were under them and couldn't crane our necks far enough to see the top. We went through a few tunnels, which is always a fun novelty. David pointed out the school where his grandfather attended and the girls were impressed. Athena decided that's where she wants to go to college because Granddaddy is a smart man.

We made it just south of Atlanta before the rush hour traffic started. When I say "rush hour", I mean 3:30. I am so glad we don't live in Atlanta! We ended up stopping about 6 miles north of our original destination because it was hot, hot, hot in the stand-still interstate traffic.

The hotel was reasonably priced and the staff nice but they obviously liked to cut corners to save money. For example, I expected a rush of A/C when we entered the room. The A/C in the hallway and the room was turned off and it felt icky! After about 45 minutes, we had that room cool enough that kids were asking for blankets. They turned on the TV and got in position. That dazed look they get on their face when watching TV is hilarious, "Rapture of the Deep" is what my step-father, Steve calls it. I think that's a perfect phrase for what I saw in the girls' eyes today.

David unloaded the car while I watched the kids. He and I took turns showering. After days of using low pressure, tepid water spitting public showers with dirty floors, a hot shower in a private bathroom is all one needs to bounce back. We ordered a pizza, called Judith's sister, Jo-Ann and suited up for the pool.

After eating, the kids played in the pool until we forced them to get out. Jo-Ann came and stayed til almost midnight. We talked, watched TV, and looked at pictures on her computer. David fixed Jo-Ann's computer and Jo-Ann gave the kids some little gifts she had for them. The gyroscopes were a huge success. I must say I love having 3 families. We are so fortunate to have so many loving people surrounding us. We have my family, David's family and Andrew's family. All 3 groups are incredibly important to my children and their quality of life just wouldn't be the same if these 3 groups didn't love all 3 of my children harmoniously. I am so thankful for such love.

When Jo-Ann left, we all collapsed into bed and slept hard! It was a good day but tomorrow will be even better. Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment