Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hot Day at the Zoo

New Orleans Day 2:

So we woke up, packed up, sweated it up, left the park. Well, it really wasn't that simple. The girls complained and David and I were pretty short with them. The heat and mosquitoes and lack of sleep got to all of us. David decided our campsite neighbors probably thought we were crazy, I decided we definitely are! We chilled out in the A/C in the Ranger's Station until we were good and ready to go. This trip has made us A/C mongers. The night before, David and I argued about who would do laundry because the laundry room had cold air-conditioning. He won that suspenseful Rock-Paper-Scissors game and I was soooo jealous!

Anyways, we were finally on our way to the Audobon Zoo. My friend, Rhonda decided to treat us. Well, not only was she planning to treat us to zoo admission but she was planning to buy lunch, carousel rides, snow cones and a souvenir from the gift shop. WOW! All those things add up when you have a "gaggle of girls", as I like to call them.

The zoo was fun but Hot, Hot, Hot! I rented a wagon which ended up being a lifesaver. Athena only complained a little bit which means she had a good day! We saw many fun animals and all of each child's favorite. Aurora got to see the elephant. All the kids got a kick out of watching the elephants go potty. Athena got to see the gorillas. The gorillas were funny because they kept moving to where they looked as if they were posing for camera shots. I really enjoyed the reptile room because it was dark and cool. Again, we've become A/C-mongers! Arianna got to see the giraffes. They were very awesome to see! We had to leave because 2 giraffes were about to get frisky and I didn't want to answer those questions after yesterday's string of questions about the drunk lady.

The zoo is laid out very nicely. There are short loops, all leading out to a center circle, which houses restrooms, playground and the cafe. There was also a water park that seemed to be a hit with the locals and summer camp groups. We only longingly looked over there but never entered.

The zoo was bigger than I expected. We didn't get to see everything because we were already leaving later than expected. If you ever go, make it a day event!

I think we all enjoyed the zoo and it was nice to visit with Rhonda. I like how she has no problem enforcing her Counselor/Behavior Therapist iron fist on my kids. They listened too. Good thing because I was kinda delirious from the heat and wasn't even doing a decent job keeping track of my own children.

Aurora was so sweet. She kept hugging and thanking Rhonda. It really was a generous treat and I can't thank her enough.

When we were all good and tired, it was time to head to Natchez, MS. Partway there, David got heat exhaustion and I had to drive. The drive was gorgeous. It is so green here! There are adorable farms and tiny, wooden picturesque shacks near huge brick mansions and it all looks so natural together. It got hilly just outside of Natchez. Our GPS took us the wrong way and I started to get upset. David took over and between he and the internet, we found our spot. The campground was nice, shaded, without mosquitoes and not heavily populated. The showers were very clean. I like Natchez State Park! The best sleep I've had on this trip was at Natchez, even considering the fact that Arianna woke up and needed me to take her to the restroom around 2:00 AM. Might I also insert that the moon was full and bright. I barely needed a flashlight.

Things I learned: Marmosets are primates, I thought they were marsupials. Giraffes have shoulders in the front. Aurora can stand like a flamingo for extended periods of time. Louisiana and especially New Orleans are primarily Catholic. Interesting since the South in general is mostly Baptist. Geographer Pierce Lewis called New Orleans "an inevitable city on an impossible site". This proves true with 2 fires, yellow fever epidemics, and 3 major hurricanes. The city survives. Although parts of town still prove to be ravaged by Katrina 6 years later, the city still thrives. At one point, Natchez housed about 1/2 of the millionaires in the United States. NAtchez has the 2nd largest Indian Burial Mound in the country. The girls fed off my behavior. When I don't freak out about being lost, either do they. DUH!

No comments:

Post a Comment