Monday, June 13, 2011

Finally!

We finally made it to New Orleans. The GPS told us it would take around 3-4 hours to get from Pensacola to New Orleans. It took ALL DAY! Driving the back roads is absolutely beautiful but takes so much time. David and I decided that from now on, if there is an interstate, we take it!

The girls were sooo good on the ride there. It was only after we made it into the City that all Hell broke loose. I started to get upset because I thought the GPS was taking us the wrong way. Once we finally got to the campsite, which took some time because the signs were not at all clear, Aurora started to break. She basically said she's already over this trip. When we finally got her calmed down by agreeing to go to the showers, Athena started up. She cried very loudly pretty much until we put her to bed. It was a stressful time for everyone. I hope we have zero more days like this. That aside, here are the positives:

MObile, AL is very pretty and has some superb bbq! Biloxi, MS was kinda cool to go through because it was all done up for the tourists, complete with a beautiful white beach. But who-da thunk it, GUlfport, MS is where I want to spend my days. To all those naysayers out there that remember Gulfport as a poor, tiny fishing town that was completely destroyed by Katrina, I say poo. There was definitely evidence all along Mississippi and Louisiana that a storm had destroyed many buildings and left many lots completely empty or permanently boarded up. But when they rebuilt, they rebuilt in a grand sort of way. We passed just miles of gorgeous beach that made me drool because all I wanted to do was stop and play on the beach. We couldn't, though. It was the last leg of the trip and we were already going to arrive late. What we saw of Gulfport, though, was absolutely breathtaking!

Today we are going to meet Rhonda and she is so kind because she's treating our entire family to the zoo. Hooray! I sure hope this lifts everyone's spirits because otherwise I am going to start thinking Dave and I bit off more than we could chew with this trip. Pray for us!!

Facts I have learned while reading my AAA book today:
Mobile, AL boasts the 1st Mardi Gras celebrations in the nation. They have their own Mardi Gras parties every year. It's true that in Mississippi, they don't like hippies (not listed in AAA travel book, my observation). Some lady literally tried running me off the road. I think it was VW hate that drove her aggression. Next time I come through, I will have to drive a Ford. Truman Capote and Harper Lee grew up together in MOnroeville. Harper Lee's character Dill in "To Kill a Mockingbird" was based on Capote as a child. That was so awesome to me! Chicory is a big thing in New Orleans. We smelled coffee regularly in the middle of Louisiana nowhere. I wondered if it was this chicory stuff. AAA says it's used as a coffee replacement or enhancer. I will have to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment