Saturday, June 15, 2013

Doin' the Charleston

Here we are! We made it safely without much of a hitch. The ride to the kennel was kind of tight with 5 people, 2 dogs and 2 weeks worth of stuff for all but the dogs were happy when we arrived at Wagland Kennel. Then we were off. It sure makes a difference without the dogs, we had a lot more space to move around after they stopped off at their stay-cation spot. I know they'll have fun there, they love that place. Anyways, we were off...

Even though we stopped about 4 times because someone had another bathroom emergency, we made good time. I am proud to say I only sped a little because I was so worried about losing all our camping stuff in the cargo carrier thingy. Arianna discovered the gargantuan tub of animal crackers I packed in the car and immediately got excited. It was kind of hard to miss them. Every chance we she got, she was finding reasons to munch on animal crackers or play with the animal crackers. By the end of the night, the tub was half gone.

Upon arrival, the park looked nice with lots of cool things to do, like a rock climbing wall, splash park, bike and hiking trails, fishing, CAMPING, etc. Tomorrow, we plan to discover some of them. David already said he'd like to check out the canoe/kayak situation for his Father's Day fun. We pulled up to  the primitive camping area, which is basically an open field with picnic tables and fire rings and a trailer of toilets. You pitch your tent where you find space. We found one with our own camping ring, picnic table, and creek. It is nice enough and in the super-shade, which is awesome but the creek doesn't flow, it just sits, and every so often wafts of eau de porta-potty mingle with your nose. Lovely.

Everything would have been just peachy in porta-potty-ville except, I won't incriminate anyone on the internet, but someone locked the keys in the car with the lights on. OK, fine, it was me but I have an excuse... ???? ...

David was really upset until he remembered we have a secret weapon...wait for it...AAA. That's right the amazing auto club that saved our butts on our last trip, here again to rescue us. Albeit, it took them 2 hours to get here, luckily we were planning to stay all night and didn't have anywhere to go. But for real, the AAA man pulled up and I swear the dude had a halo over his head. I was so excited to see him, I accidentally called him ma'am. Yeah, it was a little awkward after that.

The girls enjoyed watching him break into our car with all his gadgets. When they tired of that, they picked honeysuckles to bring back to camp so we could have something sweet to eat. Here's another mistake I made, no s'mores. I know, I am the worst mom ever but I just completely forgot. I made a seriously lame dinner and we ate without complaining too much. Then we piled into the tent and played Uno, giggling like, you know, little girls until bed time.

Tomorrow, discover this park. The next day, discover historic Charleston.

No comments:

Post a Comment